Saturday, October 17, 2015

Sparrows and other birds (13-16Oct2015)

Work has kept me tied down but Wilmington has been good in the mornings anyhow.


Bald Eagles are migrating and showing up in places not usually seen.  This is the old bunker at Ft. Fisher.


Peregrines are having a banner year and terrorizing all the shorebirds.


Classic Lesser Black-backed Gull with some Herring Gulls.


The bird on the left was interesting.  It looked way smaller than the immature Black-backed on the right, and the bill was so pale and eye so dark.


The red and black on bill was interesting but various stages of Great Black-backed have black or red on bill so why not both when in intermediate plumage.


All alone with nothing to compare size, it looks like a Great Black-backed.  Pale pink legs, fairly clean white head and very dark back.



I was looking for a "string of pearls" but this was clearly not a Slaty Back.



So it's a Great Black-backed in some intermediate plumage was the consensus.


Red-headed WP



I thought Bay-breasted Warbler when I saw this, but if you look closely, it has yellow feet.


Blackpoll it is.


Drab first year Baltimore Oriole.


Painted Bunting - shouldn't you be gone?


I think you know what this is.


Cape May Warbler


A not-so Bald Eagle

I have been diligently checking the athletic fields at the Air Force base because of the flooded fields, but still nothing really good.


Wilson's Snipe in back.


Masters of disguise.


Using a leaf to hide behind but I was onto him.


Black-throated Blue Warbler female


This brain bird had me for a bit, but I think it was an immature or female Blue Grosbeak.


Swamp Sparrows are back.


This accipiter tricked me with it's pointy wings.  I initially thought Merlin but when I lightened the photo I saw it was a Cooper's/Sharpie.


I am going with Sharpie.


Red-eyed Vireo


Severely cropped Red Knot # LY9.  I will have to see where he has been. If you have never submitted tagged birds, try it.  They will tell you were the bird was banded and where it has been seen before.

You may ask how someone in Wilmington does not yet have Saltmarsh and Nelson's Sparrows for the year?  Well I don't know.  I just have not tried for them until now.  They are back from up north and in strong numbers.


I believe this one is a Nelson's but I could be wrong.


My favorite field mark is the difference in coloring between the bird's malar (mustache) and breast.  If they are pretty similar it is probably a Nelson's.  However, darkness of striping is also good.  This bird seems to have a grayer striping.


Yellow Rail!! Just kidding I think it's a Nelson's with no tail.  Molting or maybe just had an accident. Look at how bright the breast is.


Same bird.


Saltmarsh Sparrow - Malar much more colorful than breast and stripes are more crisp than the blurry streaks of Nelson's.








Until next time my salty friends.

There is a hummingbird in the neighborhood that could be a possible immature Black-chinned Hummingbird.


First a Ruby-throated to show you the differences.  Main difference is the wing tips versus the tail length. On a RT Hummer the tail is longer. Also note the solid green crown.


Possible Black-chinned - the wing tips about the same length, and the crown with quite a bit of gray tones.


Wing tips kind of blunt looking.



However, I am not liking the bill length so unless some expert calls this bird a Black-chinned, it's staying off my list.

I sat outside my house to try some of my birds.





I have 4-5 birds but I don't think any of them are anything but a Ruby-throat.

Tomorrow I am going to a vagrant magnet for one more shot at a big migration event.  Wish me luck.

No comments:

Post a Comment