Friday, June 5, 2015

The Uncountable and the Hidden (3-4Jun2015)

On Wednesday I took the family back up to Beaufort, NC to look at a house on the marsh.  We are not necessarily looking to move, but a house priced the same as my current house was sitting on an acre on the marsh and so we decided to take a look.  In the end the house was a no go for the wife.  I myself would have loved it except one thing, the architect must have been on crack because there was only 2 small windows on the marsh view side of the house.  He built the inner staircase on the marsh side of the house effectively blocking the view which is mind boggling.   The outside was gorgeous with live oaks on the marsh.

However, there was a silver lining because on the way home I stopped at the Nanday Parakeet stakeout and there he was.


It was dark enough to give me crappy photos but not dark enough to trigger the flash.  The bird was also high enough that a flash probably would not have done much anyhow.


This Nanday Parakeet has been here for years, but he is still uncountable because its hard to establish a breeding population when there is only one of you.  Someone needs to release a female.


What you can't see in these photos is the red thighs.  Very eye catching.


Here is the Nanday's home which he shares with Starlings.  John F jokes that in the winter the Parakeet will allow more Starlings to share his roost to get more body heat.  On really cold nights it may be a 3 or 4 Starling night.

Yesterday I took Sherry to see the Chuck on an egg in Wilmington. It took a little while to locate the bird even though I knew exactly where it was.  They are masters of camouflage.


This is the gray morph bird.  There is a rufous bird that shares egg duty.

I have just placed an order for a new tripod and head for my scope and a Phoneskope adaptor so I hope to be able to get some much better pics using the digiscoping method in the near future.

Great times.

No comments:

Post a Comment