Tuesday, June 2, 2015

Plover Lover (02Jun2015)

This morning I was in full chase mode for the Snowy Plover that Sam C found at the North end of Wrightsville Beach.  I arrived at 6:15 am and the only other birder there was the equally bird crazy Sherry L.  We braved swarms of noseeums and saw the continuing Black-headed Gull, but no Snowy Plover.


Look no farther than the Bird Zone sign for Common Terns.

Of course work dictated that my search was cut short at 8am.  But the slave drivers could not keep me past 5pm today, so I went back for more.  This time with some bug spray.  I refound the Black-headed Gull for my buddy Greg and then we waited.  Finally the bugger just appeared in an area I had already thoroughly scoured.  I am not sure if he was previously hidden or he had just flown in.


Snowy Plover - very light, collar restricted to sides, black bill and dark legs.





Here is the Snowy with a Piping Plover.  The light colored Piping was actually much darker.

Sherry showed up just in time and got in on the action. After a round of high fives we went to South Beach and enjoyed a beer in celebration.

Great times.

No comments:

Post a Comment