Saturday, March 14, 2015

Who says work is no fun? (10-13Mar2015)

The great thing about my job is it takes me places and I create my own schedule for the most part.  So in addition to visiting locations in and out of NC, I am able to bird when the birding is good as long as I get my work done.  Of course there are times when I have to be on telecons or sitting in my office for 10-12 hour stretches, but overall I am very lucky.


Laughing Gull - picture from earlier this week in Wilmington.  Laughing gulls are easy to take for granted but in early Spring they have a fresh and crisp plumage that makes you fall in love with them all over again.



An early Spotted Sandpiper at CB State Park.

Wednesday I had a visit to Duke and I got their early so I swung by Coker Arboretum in Chapel Hill to try for the Rufous Hummingbird.  I quickly found the flowering Sweet Breath of Spring where it has been reported.  A local lady saw me and came over to chat.  She said that the rufous had not been seen for 4-5 days.  However, I did not let that deter me and within 15 minutes of waiting I had my quarry.


Rufous Hummingbird surrounded by Sweet Breath of Spring which has an amazing fragrance.  I am going to have to get some for my yard.


Usually IDing a Rufous can be tricky unless it is an adult male with a rufous back.  Everyone has been calling this one a Rufous and I think Susan C has made a trip to band and ID it but I did not see a band.


Unless someone IDs it as a Allen's, I am going with the default Rufous designation.


On my way back to my truck I saw this Hermit Thrush acting funny.


He flew down started doing a funny dance, jumping up and down.


Then I saw what all the excitement was about, a snake!  Can Hermit Thrushes eat snakes?  This one was real small but still looked too big for a Hermit Thrush to take on.  If you zoom in real close you can see the snake's head on the left.  After attacking the snake a couple times the Hermit lost interest.

After my job at Duke I managed to make it to Mason Farm Biological Reserve for a quick walk.  Although it is a beautiful place, I did not have much luck.  I was looking for a Barred Owl or Woodcock.  I did hear a Barred but did not find it for a picture. Before dark it started to rain so I gave up on Woodcock.


If you told me my first photographed Red-headed WP for the year would be photographed in the Piedmont instead of in my home town I would not have believed you.

Thursday morning before work, I headed to Brian P's house to try for Purple Finch.  It did not take long to spot first a female then a couple males.


Purple Finch and Blue Jay.  Notice the forked tail which is diagnostic for Purple Finch versus House Finch.


The Purple Finches came to the feeders but the light was bad and all my photos came out bad.  I also missed a photo of a White-breasted Nuthatch which was still eluding me.

The good news is I got photos of both species later in the afternoon after my work was through.  I stopped at Crabtree Lake State Park and posted up next to the feeder at the Park Office.


Pine Siskin


The feeder had tons of bird including Goldfinches, House Finches, Bluebirds, Siskins, Titmice and Chickadees.

Then I spotted a Purple!


Wine colored Purple Finch.  See forked tail and unstreaked belly.


There was plenty House Finches around for comparison.


I almost passed this one off as a House Finch because in the sun it seemed more red than the purple color I was expecting.  However it did not take long to notice that this bird had no streaking on its belly!  It also had extensive color on his back.


Then just before leaving my chance came for a White-breasted Nuthatch!  Booyah, I love when a plan comes together.

Now that my work commitments were over I made the decision to drive to the OBX to try for the Common Redpoll that has been hanging out in Southern Shores.  On the way I could not resist stopping at Alligator for sunset and a try for a Short-eared Owl. Unfortunately no luck there.


This Red-tailed Hawk had a very full crop.  At dark I listened for Woodcock with no luck but I was treated to the amazing sound of a Red Wolf howling.  I think many people in NC are completely unaware that we have a population of Red Wolves with the best numbers in Alligator NWR.  The sound of a wolf howling when you are along in the pitch back is truly haunting and a little scary even when your vehicle is a short way down the road.

Next morning after tackling 40-50 emails I headed from my Hotel to Southern Shores and navigated to the house where the Redpoll has been hanging out.  Don't ask me the exact location because I was not successful in getting permission to get on the property and I simply watched from the street.  The feeder was easily visible from the street although it was pretty far.  When I got there there was very little activity and I could not see any siskins at all!  This was discouraging but Common Redpoll is a lifer for me so I was not going to quit.  However, I had a TC for work and I needed to check out of my hotel so I temporarily retreated after 30 minutes.

After some calls and checking out I headed back and as soon as I arrived I saw things were improving.  There was a group of 30 or so siskins and all kinds of other regulars working the thistle feeder.  Bingo! It was not hard to ID once the Redpoll flew in.


Heavily cropped image of a Common Redpoll - red "bindi" and yellow bill.


If you are the home owner and happen to read this blog, thank you for keeping your feeder full!

Initially the plan was to finish the day working but I made a huge bonehead move the prior day and left my computer cord in RTP!  So I was out of batteries and force to bird the rest of the day. Oh well, I would make up for it on the weekend.

I proceeded to visit all the usual OBX spots, first up Bodie Island.  Nothing special there so next stop was the Oregon Inlet harbor.


There were some Horned Grebes working the harbor.

Then I spied something bigger!


Red-necked Grebe!!!

Now with diving birds I knew the best way to get a good photo is to wait until they dive, then when they are under water I run as close as I can get and get my camera ready.  It worked like a charm, I was able to get very close.  With a better camera I would have been in the money.


About as good a pic you can get of a Red-necked Grebe with my old camera.


Next stop was the Old Coast Guard Station and the South side of Bonner Bridge.


Boat-tailed Grackles are frequently good camera fodder.


Savannah Sparrow

Next stop was Cape Point.  I hiked out getting the stink eye from all the fisherman on my way out.  A few of them even came menacingly close to me with their 4x4s.

Once out on the cape I was able to bird to myself past the group of vehicles.  I diligently searched through the gulls for a Glaucous or Little Gull but the gulls were mostly tucked in and far enough that it was difficult to sort through them without a scope. However I was eventually rewarded with some interesting encounters of a different kind.


Dovekie!  He was so close and getting closer.  Then he was riding a wave in to shore literally at my feet.  It was so strange because he seemed healthy although a little waterlogged.  However, it quickly became evident that this bird was probably not doing so well.


It's not every day a Dovekie walks up onto shore next to you and pops a squat.


He began preening emphatically, and if I did not know better I would have though he was ok.


After a while of preening he just sat there as if he was planning to spend the night.  I hope he was able to get his strength up and get back out in the morning.  I thought about bringing him home so Harry S could get a picture....  Just kidding.

But that was not the last sighting of the day.  Not more than 20 yards from where the Dovekie posted up a seal (sorry not very good at Pinniped ID) hauled up onto the beach.


What a beautiful creature.


Although this animal seemed old, it seemed very healthy.


Great times!!!!

1 comment:

  1. The photo of the rufous in the Lonicera fragantissima is frame-worthy

    ReplyDelete