Friday, March 6, 2015

TGIF (06Mar2015)

Insomnia again last night... so I worked from 4 am to about 7am and then was so cross eyed I had to get away from the computer.  Reasoning that the unsettled weather might have brought some interesting birds to the beach, I headed down to WB.  The ocean was rough and Johnny Mercer's was locked so I started driving down to South End (Masonboro inlet).  That's when I saw a large raft of ducks on the intracoastal waterway.  Most times I would keep driving but I had a feeling it was not just Scaup.


White-winged Scoter!!  I have pics of Surf and Black so it was a good find.  Most of my views of WW Scoters this year have been very distant.


Here was an adult male White-winged Scoter.


I counted over 20 of them.


At the inlet this Great Cormorant flew by.  You can almost see the white hip patch.


On the beach there was 6 Piping Plover.  What in the world the so called Park Ranger needs to drive on the beach for is beyond me.  The South End is a small area, and he probably could use some exercise if he needs to patrol.  I was checking out the plover and he basically drove right through them.  The irony of a Park Ranger plowing through his charges was not lost on me.


This one was sporting some serious Bling.


Black Skimmer!


American Oystercatcher

Back to work!  Then in the evening back out for some more birding.  Lake Sutton was very birdy but nothing too special.


Downy WP


House Wren



The Orange-crowned Warblers were very confiding.


Golden-crowned Kinglet



This one particular Orange-crowned was not scared at all.  At one point he landed on my shoe!! I kid you not. Granted I was standing stock still for about 10 min.




Great times!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment