Sunday, February 1, 2015

Superowl Sunday (01Feb2015)

I went back to CB state park to see if I could get a better vantage of the Great Horned Nest we found yesterday.  Not great but definitely diagnostic.


She is obviously in stealth mode.  Will be cool to come back when chicks are hatched.  You can just see the two "horns" and half of the rufous facial disc.


The further I went from the nest, the more bold she would get.


Nearby, I had another Cooper's Hawk.


On my way back to the car and after a large flock of 200 or so Fish Crows went by, I noted she had switched sides and now he tail was sticking out.  I wonder if she had been harassed by the crows.  By the way, if you think I am disturbing this owl, then I am not the only one.  She chose a tree right next to a heavily trafficked hiking trail.


Juvenile Red-tailed Hawk.

Here is a poor iPhone video of a large flight of 200 or so Fish Crows streaming overhead.



I am convinced there are Henslow's Sparrows in this field. I had some skulking sparrows flush from my feet and I tried playing some Henslow's and got a reply that sounded identical to playback chips.  I am going to see if I can convince some people to come with me and form a good old fashioned sparrow stomp.

Great times.

Great times.

1 comment:

  1. I have several friends who are sparrow-crazy - but we all live in Raleigh. Will need to plan a day trip when there is little wind and plenty of sunshine (best conditions for sparrows). Would you put up with us? We are enthusiastic! And remember - I have phenomenal hearing: really great discrimination skills (I can pick out something with other noises in the way), and I can hear the high registers. My only problem is with the low register of owl calls - which is a shame, since I am so dang good at calling them in ! - Erla

    ReplyDelete