Saturday, February 28, 2015

Cabin Fever (23-27Feb2015)

A combination of bad weather, work and a visit from the in laws was the perfect storm for very little birding.  However, I refuse to not try when I can so I did eke out a few photos for this year despite poor quality.


Little Blue Heron at Ashley School - yes I am still trying to get a Ross's Goose.


Even Rock Pigeons can be good looking.  This one and 100 of his closest friends were huddled for warmth on the Kure Beach Pier.

A new perspective on a Bufflehead which I usually do not see from on top.

Most of the week was spent in my home office which does not have much of a view.  I have to go to the bathroom when I want to check if there are any birds at my feeder.  I am planning a move to another room in the house soon so I can look at my feeders while working.

Northern Cardinal through my bathroom window. 

Blue Jay also from the bathroom.
The ice storm this week had me thinking Oak Island and a repeat of last year's Woodcock Extravaganza.  However, when I could finally get away from work it was late enough and the ice was bad enough that I decided going across the downtown bridge would be useless.  A mixture of rush hour and bad whether is pretty much hell on earth.  So instead I haded down to Ft. Fisher and took the ferry across.


This Boat-tailed Grackle was braving the sleet at the ferry terminal.

Long story short, apparently an ice storm does not necessarily mean Woodcock Fallout. 


However the White-tailed Deer were falling out.

Later in the week I ventured out to Carolina Beach.  This Snowy Egret was not in a good mood.


American coot recipe - Put them in a pot of boiling water with a brick.  After three days throw the coot out and eat the brick.

Ring-necked Duck

I scrutinized this Scaup for quite some time as I still need a Lesser Scaup photo.  After much deliberation I did come to the conclusion it was in fact a Lesser Scaup.  Forhead is relatively abrupt instead of the rounded head of a Greater.

Then I realized my scrutiny was in vain because a more obvious Lesser Scaup was hanging out under the Kure Beach Pier.

I love a female Bufflehead.
Hmm, what next to chase?  I don't have the desire to drive all the way to try for the Rough-legged again and the OBX are too far. 

I think I will just sit tight and keep birding locally.  George's 8th B-day tomorrow so many festivities to be had including the Serpentarium for the afternoon feeding.

No comments:

Post a Comment