Sunday, September 7, 2014

World Shorebirds Day (06-07Sep2014)

What better way to celebrate World Shorebirds Day than birding the Spit on Saturday with Harry and then birding with John, Jack and Chandra at North River and Cedar Island on Sunday.

This beauty was seen hanging at Fort Fisher Monument.  I have been checking the oaks there hoping for migrants.


However, the warblers have not really made a strong appearance in these neck of the woods.  Good thing I had shorebirds galore!


Caspian Tern.

There was a nice flock of about 100 terns including Common, Sandwich, Caspian, Royal, Black and Forster's.  We looked good and hard for a Roseate Tern but were not able to find one.  The below bird looked interesting due to scalloping on it's back, but it just did not convince us enough.  The wings were just not light enough.



Caspian Tern.

On Sunday I woke at 3am and made the long haul to meet the gang at North River Farms.  The Noseeums were brutal but we had tons of good birds including 30 or more Horned Lark, 11 Wilson's Snipe and in a flock of more than 200 Black Belly Plovers were at least 14 American Golden Plovers.  Unfortunately I could not get close enough to get a good picture.  There was several Harriers working the fields and probably they had the birds on edge.

Next we headed to Cedar Island and had some really good birds there including a very cooperative Buff-breasted Sandpiper.


Buff-breasted Sandpiper.


Pectoral and Buff-breasted.





Pectoral Sandpiper.


Lesser Yellowlegs.

What a beautiful day!  Puffy clouds, semi-wild horses, lots of birds and at first a nice cool breeze.


These two clowns just had to walk right through where we were birding.


There were a few Black Terns.


As we were walking back to throw in the towel, John called "White-rump".  I got my bins on 3 peeps and the White-rumped Sandpiper as they flew right by us.  I watched them closely with my bins to see if they would land on the beach but on they flew right over the inlet.  The White-rump was a good deal larger and the white rump was clearly visible.  In hindsight maybe I should have taken a picture instead of watching with my bins.

Oh well, just another bird I can count as seen but not photographed.  I am having a hard time closing the gap and still have about 15 birds in this category.

On the way home I stopped by the community Laurel Lea and counted over 60 Great Egrets and 35 Wood Ducks! However, no Black-bellied Whistling Ducks.

Great times.


No comments:

Post a Comment