Wednesday, September 10, 2014

Warblers everywhere!!!! (10Sep2014)

I went down to Airlie Gardens this morning to check on the migration.  My back yard has been hopping with birds so I figured it would be a good day.  I was not disappointed.

I had no idea that there was some bird club walk scheduled and when I got there there was about 20 bird watchers waiting to get started.  I decided to bird separately from the group so I could be more stealthy.  It paid off.  I got to the chapel and found a nice mixed flock with warblers, chickadees, titmice, vireos and other usuals.  I basically stuck with this flock for the next hour following it all over the grounds.

I ended up getting Northern Parula, Common Yellowthroat, Yellow-throated Warbler, Worm-eating Warbler, tons of Redstarts, 3 Chestnut sided, Black and White, 2 Magnolias and more vireos than a man can count.


White-eyed Vireo.


Yellow-throated Warbler.


Red-eyed Vireo - they were everywhere.  I had one section of the garden that had 15 vireos in one tree.  Then I spied one up in the canopy that I was convinced was a Philadelphia.  However, I never got a real good look but it had alot of yellow underneath and was a little bigger than a White-eyed or at least i thought.  The pictures were really dark so I turned up the contrast for the pics.  However, I am not confident on this one and so will have to wait for a better look.  Maybe the tail is too long for a Philly.





A beautiful day!  I can't wait for my trip to the mountains this weekend.

No comments:

Post a Comment