Monday, July 28, 2014

North River Sunday and Spit Monday (27-28Jul2014)

I awoke to my alarm at 3 am on Sunday and seriously questioned pulling the plug on my planned trip to North River Farms.  I have not been getting enough sleep and I just did not want to get up.  Oh well, I can sleep in 2015.  After a coffee and breakfast sandwich at the Corner Store near North River Farms, I was ready to go and the day started out very birdy and despite the humidity pretty nice.


This Water Moccasin was taking a morning dip.


"Come on in, the water's warm".

As usual John's amazing ears was hearing birds no one was seeing and then we would see whatever he called out as a confirmation.


"Upland Sandpiper" he said.  Then this one fly right over us.  Funny how their long necks are not so long when flying.


"Horned Lark" he said.  Then I saw about 20-25 in the road.  Looked to be mostly immature birds.


Horned Lark.

"Bobwhite" he says, then we see this guy down the road.


Northern Bobwhite.

After the farms we header to Cedar Island and walked the beach.  It got really hot and with the humidity I have to say I was getting to be in a bad mood.  Sometimes I seriously think about moving somewhere a bit cooler.  At least during the summer.  All of our binoculars were steaming up.


John called this a Caspian at first glance and for some reason I did not think it was. I think the bill seemed more orange and it just didn't seem big enough, but now that I have seen the photo despite the fact that it is not good, I think maybe this was a Caspian.  The cap was full which is not something you see much on a Royal this time of year.  I am hoping to get a better picture later, but if not I may have to go back an consider using this one.  We actually ended up seeing a Caspian later at Davis Impoundments but I did not get a picture.


Semi feral horses at Cedar Island crossing the channel. I don't think these are truly wild like the ones at Rachel Carson.

At Davis Impoundments we saw about 130 Gull-billed Terns on one sand bar.

Altogether a good day although I did not get any new species for the big year.

Monday after work, Harry and I were inspired by Ryan Justice's post and headed down to the Fort Fisher Spit to see if there were any Black Terns.


Juvenile Common Tern - black carpal bar is a dead giveaway.

Then I saw 3 Black Terns flying out by the breakers and jumped out before Harry could stop.


Black Tern - all black or dark gray with exception of white vent.



Not bad for a quick trip before the rains set in.

Tomorrow I have to fly to New York for work.  Usually I like to travel, but the Bronx is not my idea of a good trip.

Can't wait for my next pelagic on Saturday.  Should prove pretty fun.

No comments:

Post a Comment