Thursday, July 24, 2014

Local Birding (22-24Jul2014)

Firstly let me say after speaking with some people that saw my swallow pics from Hendersonville a week ago, I have added Bank Swallow to my year list.  I hope to get a more definitive adult later but all the people I asked agreed the picture I had was a Bank.

Since the mountains trip I have been making some short forays around Wilmington to try and add a few birds that have been reported including Stilt SP, Pectoral SP and Swallow-tailed Kite.

First trip was down to Fort Fisher to try for shore birds in the Recreation Fields at the military vacation property.  No dice, the rains did not produce as I hoped.  So I headed down to the Rocks and got this consolation prize.


Clapper Rail.


Next evening after work I headed to Oakland Plantation Sod Farm to try for Stilt and Pectoral SPs and then Lock and Dam for Swallow-tailed Kites.  No dice on either account. There were plenty of other birds, but nothing new for me.


Dowitcher - probably short billed.


Loggerhead Shrike - picture is through my windshield.

Wednesday evening I met Harry, Greg and a new acquaintance for me John from Winston-Salem at the FF Spit.  Right off the bat we got a keeper.  Greg said hmm whats that floating out past the breakers and I knew immediately it was a Shearwater.  "Great Shearwater" I said and Harry about pooped himself.  He jumped outside the truck about as fast as a leopard and got his rig from the back.  The bird was 370 on Harry's North Carolina life list of Photographed birds. He has a much better photo but I got this one below.  High fives all around and we continued to the spit and saw a bunch of shore birds but nothing special.


Great Shearwater.

Today (Thursday) after work George (my youngest) and I headed back to Oakland Plantation in Bladen County and this time I got a mess load of Pectoral SPs.  There were some other nice birds including what I thought was a Stilt SP but the lighting was bad (glare) and I did not get any good pictures.


Pectoral SP - horrible pic but you can see the size difference compared to Least SP on right and also you can see the bib that is characteristic of the Pectoral.



Pectoral SP on left with Least SPs.


Lock and Dam again failed to please.  But this handsome devil was hanging out on the pier.

Great Times.

No comments:

Post a Comment