Friday, January 10, 2014

Snowy Owl in South East North Carolina

Last night I got an email through the listserv from John Ennis that a Snowy Owl had finally been seen in South East North Carolina at the East end of Sunset Beach.  Although I had conference calls lined up for the morning, I resolved that I would see this bird before it potentially flew the coop.  So I got up at 5am and drove the 1.5 hours down there.  I pulled into the last community on the island and parked. Before even turning off the engine, I spotted in the gloaming (been waiting a while to be able to use that word) a ghostly apparition fly by 20 yards in front of me over the dunes. Of course I was unprepared and fumbled with my camera and it was too dark anyway.  It was gone as quick as it came.  So I went after it, driving towards the houses.  After 15 minutes or so I located it on top a McMansion and again fumbled with my camera and it was gone again.  It seemed to be very alert and in hunt mode.  I drove around for another half hour or so and then decided to check the dunes on foot at the point.  There I met another birder/photographer Keith Green.  He had not seen it.  After walking around the whole point we came up empty and we split up, him on foot and me in the car.  On the way back towards the bridge, about half way in the middle of the island there the bird sat on top of an upper level summer home deck.  I snapped a couple hundred pics and soon Keith found me and he was able to get great pics too. Great times!
                            Here was one of the first shots where he/she was weary of my presence.
 After a while he/she ignored me and went back about her/his business which included mostly preening,  although in this shot it looks like he/she is having a good cough.
 She/he even was practicing a little Yoga, not sure if this is downward dog or what.
            Here she/he is posing for a glamour shot.
 I was watching the bird so long the weather actually changed and it became sunny.
 Thanks to Keith who let me take some shots with his lens.  However, I am not sure which ones were his.  He also gave me some good pointers on shooting with manual settings.  I definitely need to learn more about photography.
On my way out, I got this immature Bald Eagle and bunch of ducks at Twin Lakes.

2 comments:

  1. Hey man, really awesome stuff. I've been religiously reading digest.sialia.com. Real jealous of the snowy owl pics. I need to see one before the invasion is over! I'm new to birding, but I'm doing a photographic big year myself. It's just a county one, more of just setting a personal best for myself. Every bird is pretty much a lifer for me, so it's real exciting taking a pic then going and researching what it is. Should I join Carolina Bird Club or Cape Fear Audubon? I'll eventually join both. I'm at 34 on the year but no rarities. There were a bunch of Cedar Waxwings @ North Topsail today. Really neat looking bird. Well sorry for rambling. Keep the posts coming and good luck on your quest.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey, good to hear someone checked out the site. The days of adding new birds were good, now I pretty much have to travel ex US to get new birds with some exceptions. For example that band tailed pigeon. I only just joined the Carolina Bird Club but can recommend it. If you are interested in seeing rarities, I suggest subscribing to the Carolina Birds listserv. Just Google it if interested. If you see me out in the field say hi.

      Delete