Thursday, April 23, 2015

Peri-work Birding (20-22Apr2015)

I have been trying to fit in work, birding and getting my garden in good shape not to mention giving my family some attention and it has been difficult.  Here are some photos from the past several days, mostly early in the morning or in the evening at fairly local spots.


Common Grackle at Greenfield Lake.


Great Crested Flycatcher - since then I have seen a bunch.


Northern Rough-winged Swallow - ever try and photograph a swallow on the fly?  Not easy.


Prothonotary Warbler


Yellow-throated Warbler - love the colors here including the background.




Chimney Swift - A "cigar with wings".  I have never found a roost in Wilmington so this is as close I get to them.  I think Bruce has some in his chimney, so I may ask to come over at dusk and check it out.


I know it is hard to see what is going on here so let me explain.  There was two giant Snapping Turtles getting it on (I can only assume that is what they were doing) while an Alligator watched.  Very strange.  The snapping turtles were huge so I don't think the Alligator was looking at them as prey. Maybe he was just bored and watching other species procreate is like TV for reptiles?


Cedar Waxwings - hundreds of them.


Brown Thrasher


Yellow-rumped Warbler in breeding plumage. Lots of singing going on too.


Anyone good with Butterflies?


This Ovenbird was in the usual spot on Governor's Rd.


I really need to make a trip to the mountains to pick up some new species.

Cheers.

1 comment:

  1. A nice little collection of current bird photos. I'm sitting in the cabin in Baiting Hollow with the woodstove fired up (it's barely 50F outside with a blustery wind) watching my hummingbird feeders but I see no customers - still probably a week too early.

    ReplyDelete