Saturday, February 6, 2016

Creeping Around Wilmington (01-05Feb2016)

I have spent some mornings this week at my usual rotation of Wrightsville Beach still hoping for a Pacific Loon or Eared Grebe with no luck.  I also have been trying some of the more established parks for Brown Creepers, also with no luck.  However, I was able to pick up some year birds for my photographic effort.



Black Scoter


There was a dark headed gull on the beach that stood out from the rest, and since this was a banner year for Franklin's, I thought I should investigate.

The hood was nice and dark with good delineation but the bill didn't look right.  So Laughing it was.


However, this bird was not laughing.  He looked bloated and seemed to be struggling.



You may think he was vocalizing here, but actually he was choking.  Looks like piggy swallowed something too big and was paying the price.


I think he was alright in the end, but it did look quite uncomfortable.


Baltimore Orioles love Oleander Memorial Gardens in the winter.


Hermit Thrushes love Airlie Gardens despite the cacophony of chainsaws, leaf blowers, wood chippers and all the motorized vehicles going back and forth constantly.  I think the old owners of Airlie would be rolling in their graves if they saw what the garden has come to. An old plantation garden should be in a state of organized chaos, not a pristine sanitized backyard where every bush is manicured and leaf blown.  To be honest I think the workers cause more damage than they make improvements.  The lawns are criss crossed with muddy tire tracks from all the vehicles constantly going back and forth.


Belted Kingfishers are not an easy bird to photograph, so I was happy to settle with this through the trees shot.

My search for Brown Creepers took me to River Rd Park where I found a Sweetgum full of birds.


Carolina Chickadee



American Goldfinch


Brown-headed Nuthatch


Eastern Bluebird



Black Vulture

CB State Park I had a Black-and-white Warbler.  I can watch these birds for hours.


Still no Creeper.....


Today I am still on kid detail but tomorrow I am changing a Mountain Plover chase #2 to a first yearly Piedmont trip to pick up some good birds including a drake Common Goldeneye.  The weather for Sunday was just to iffy for another chase of that damn plover.

Stay Tuned.

No comments:

Post a Comment