Sunday, December 20, 2015

ITS A RUFF LIFEr (15-20Dec2015)

Ruff is a bird I don't have. Why I have never been tempted to chase a Ruff is anyone's guess.  Maybe because they are usually way far in a field needing a scope and usually they are Reeves (females) that essentially look like a more common bird.  Over the past week and a half, my fellow Carolinians have been visiting a Ruff found in a field in Alligator NWR.  Up until Saturday I could not muster enough of a desire to chase it.  However a couple other sightings in the vicinity finally convinced me to go so I could make a day of it.  First things first though, a few photos from some short birding sessions this week....


Common Loon - I think I might like Winter birding more than any other season.  There are no crowds and the birds are plentiful.


Red Knot




Red-throated Loon



Would be nice to see one in breeding plumage one day.


Ruddy Turnstone - he was in the sun and the colors were a little bright so I toned this pic down.


Here is the unedited picture.

One of the evenings I stopped by Ashley School athletic fields to see if any geese were around.  There was hundred of geese but nothing out of the ordinary.  However, the below plover looked interesting, particularly because it was hanging out with a bunch of geese and ibis in a fresh water pond.


Of course it flushed and it was too dark anyway to be sure.


So I went the next morning hoping it would be back.  And it was....


The distinct white eye-brow looked good, but the bill seemed too big.


ARGgghhh Black wing-pits!  I guess I will not get an American Golden Plover which is strange since I had so many last year.


However, this Black-bellied Plover did give me opportunities to observe some other field marks.  Note the white rump on the tail.  American Golden would not be so white.


Thick white wings strips is another.  American Golden would have more thin stripes.

Friday I stopped at Ft Fisher since I have been neglecting it lately.


These American White Pelican were a nice surprise.


Saturday I left at 3am and drove to Alligator and birded a wet field for 3-4 hours before I became disgusted with my rare bird compulsion and left for some birding at Pea Island and other spots.


American White Pelican

At Jeanette's Pier I had my first semi rare bird - Common Eider.


 I am kind of surprised that eBird does not list Common Eider as rare.  I have only seen a handful myself in NC.



At Newland Rd near Pettigrew it did not take a long time to find the previously reported Western Kingbirds.  However previously only 2 were reported.  I found 3!!!!!!  I don't think I have ever seen three even in California all sitting next to each other.


I searched the Sparrow Fields and only found some common birds.


So in the end no Ruff for me which is fine, I would rather see one close up anyhow.  And it seems someone just refund the Ruff today ......Arrrrghhhh.

At least I did not look for it for 3 days straight like the couple from Michigan I met while there.  That is cray cray.

Cheers.

3 comments:

  1. Hello. I was at Alligator River looking for the Ruff yesterday morning too. I've actually been following your blog fairly religiously since the beginning of the year. Was kind of cool to see you in real life! It was a shame about the Ruff, but we also went after the Western Kingbirds, and Ash-throated Flycatcher and did not find any of them, so it wasn't such a great day for us - haha. We are from Greenville, so if you ever want to bird around here let us know! River Park North isn't exactly a hotbed of rarities, but it's a pretty nice place to go.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Rover, sorry if I wasn't more friendly, I was a bit chuffed at not finding the bird I drove 4 hours to find. To be honest I had a feeling I was going to miss it. Glad you like the blog. River Park ain't half bad, I have chased a Ross's Goose there. You probably saw the Ruff was refound! What a rude bird.....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey, no worries! I honestly didn't have super high hopes of finding it either, especially since I had only very vague ideas about what I was even looking for. But I can totally understand why you were peeved - that's a really long drive. Seeing the bird was refound the very next day was a bit of a blow. Typical!

      Delete