Saturday, August 15, 2015

A Solitaire In Good Company (14Aug2015)

A Townsend's Solitaire in NC?  Wow! A NC State first record.  So what do do?  Naturally chase it.

This time my family agreed to come with me.  We have been meaning to go to Grandfather Mountain as a family for some time now anyhow.

We arrived very late on Thursday at our campground and quickly put up the tent and crashed.  I woke in the middle of the night to a chorus of Screech Owls.  I guess I was too groggy and did not think to make an audio recording.  In the morning we packed up just as fast and hit the road.

Thanks to Jesse P, we made it into Grandfather at 7 am.  However the bird was not around first think and we hiked around a bit.  What a beautiful spot!


Townsend's Solitaire hunters posing for the camera.

Then bingo! Luke and I and about 10 other people on the Swinging Bridge all saw the Solitaire pop up and pose on a snag.


Townsend's Solitaire - unfortunately it chose to pose in a snag that was backlit, but with binocs you could easily see the marks - slight eye ring, buffy wing markings, long tail, short bill.


Here is a cropped photo lightened up a bit.


From a different angle, you can almost see the buffy wing markings.


Even better angle but still far from a crush.


I waited a bit to see if the bird would switch sides of the bridge and potentially offer up a better photo but no such luck.

Of course there was other birds.


Red-breasted Nuthatch

Down at the museum we had fun in the Bear exhibit.


"Where is Greg?"  Sorry buddy, he decided to chase a Limp Kin.


RB Nuthatch




Ruby-throated Hummingbird


Goldfinch


RBNH


Nom nom nom


There was probably 20 hummers and they were all juvenile or female.


Bald Eagles are majestic even in captivity.

Back up to the top and Luke was climbing like a mountain goat.


Don't know who the person to his right is.  She appeared to be lost, consulting a map.


Eastern Towhee


Red Crossbill

What a great time.  It was killing me that there was a Western Kingbird and Baird's SP within striking distance on the way home but my family wasn't having it.  Hopefully they will stick around for another day.

Great times.

1 comment:

  1. Congratulations on getting the Townsend's Solitaire at the Swinging Bridge of Grandfather Mountain, Jamie! Three of my birder friends drove out yesterday (Saturday) from Raleigh and were also rewarded with a view of the T.S., Red Crossbill, and several other birds in the mountains. I could not go due to some volunteer events, and I doubt I will find the time to go before the T.S. moves on.
    So, I live (bird) vicariously by reading your blog and checking the ebird hotspots. (Once the T.S. moves on, I will check on "errant" checklist locations and ask the ebird reviewer to merge the lists with the proper location.) I am glad more birders are using ebird, but some of them are sloppy when it comes to marking the location; they just plunk down the "drop" somewhere near the location and never check to merge it with a true hotspot. It makes it look like a flock of Townsend Solitaire birds have descended upon the area! (If you doubt me, just look Monk Parakeet in your neck of the woods; there are hotspots all over the place. MINE is the most accurate, ahem! The one that says stakeout)

    I am coming out to WB and maybe FF on Monday August 24. You probably have to work, but let me know if you can join us. About four birders from Raleigh; we plan to get there by 7:30, probably starting at the South End of Wrightsville Beach first.

    Thanks for a wonderful blog, Jamie! I've learned a lot from you (particularly when it comes to shorebirds).
    Erla

    ReplyDelete