Saturday, July 18, 2015

Twin Lakes and ILM (15-18July2015)

A report of Black-bellied Whistling Ducks at Twin Lakes in Sunset Beach, NC had me chasing something for the first time in a while (month?).  Or at least it seems like it.  I need to move somewhere where the summer birding is good too.

I will spare you the suspense, I did not find the ducks.  It seems this year there has been quite a few sightings of BBWDs but none of them stayed for more than 24 hours.


Finally Wood Storks have moved in.


It was early so the lighting was bad. This picture was with my camera.  I got a better picture with my digiscoping set up but having trouble uploading it.

Saturday I decided to spend an hour looking for Upland Sandpiper at ILM. It was 3pm and hot, so I was not surprised that I did not find anything good.


Cattle Egret - this bird was really snazzy.



ILM is the most reliable place I know of in Wilmington to see Loggerhead Shrike.

I can't wait for fall migration.  Also, a surf trip to Costa Rica in early August will probably get me a few birds too.  Hopefully my buddy will not be frustrated with my frequent birding forays.  The great thing about Costa Rica is I can bird if the waves stink, whereas my friend will probably just drink beer. Hmm... Maybe I can drink beer and bird at the same time.  Pure Vida.

No comments:

Post a Comment