Thursday, December 18, 2014

Purple Reign (14-18Dec2014)

Hello Birders,

Last weekend I took part in the Holly Shelter and Lea Hutaff Island CBC.  Shun and I were dropped off on the North Side of Lea Hutaff Island which is the island between Topsail and Figure Eight.


Beautiful place and almost totally untouched.


4 plus miles of walking back and forth between the beach and the intracoastal marshes.


Plenty of birds over the water like Gannets and gulls. However, the beach, dunes and marsh was relatively quiet.


We were hopeful of the one small hill with vegetation but all we found was a Catbird and a House Wren.  Zero Yellow-rumps.

Savannah Sparrows were plentiful.


Ipswich subspecies of Savannah Sparrow.

It took forever to find a nice flock of marsh sparrows but then we hit the jackpot.


Seaside Sparrow


Most of the marsh sparrows were Nelson's.




This one was a Saltmarsh Sparrow.

Great times.

Wednesday morning before work I headed down to Veteran's Park to check out the reported Ross's Goose. I knew at some point one would show in Wilmington.



Then the cherry on top, today I was tipped off by my buddy Dave to some Purple Finches here in Wilmington.


First Dave spotted a female in the Sweetgum.


Then the male showed up.




Not a bad way to end my week.  Tomorrow I hit the road for Florida and then Puerto Rico for Xmas!

Keep it real homies.

No comments:

Post a Comment